Sunday 20 June 2021

Magic Story: The Best Part of Me (Wendy Ewald)

"We should embrace what makes us different, our different styles, 
our creativity."
Chantelle Brown Young
Canadian model, Vitiligo
                     Home School (to escape bullies), Mississauga, Canada  





 One year, I was transferred to a new school and began teaching grade 6.  It was early on in my career and I was getting bounced all over the place due to surpluses and redundancies.  My first day with this group was a real eye opener!  They were children who demonstrated zero confidence or appreciation for the great kids that they actually were.  About 20 minutes into the first day, a student burst into the portable and was met with a chorus of giggles and taunts and teasing.  I was horrified!  Standing before me was a young boy, small in stature.  He had old, torn clothes, no backpack, and he was obviously in need of some personal care.  He had a mouth full of teeth that protruded and when I smiled at him and he smiled back, I noted what a sweet young man he was!  His smile lit up his face even when I know how hard he was holding back his tears.  I worked really hard at trying to pull that group together and help my little friend fit it.  In fact, I taught them for 3 years.  I was so thrilled when he found a little group of boys that he felt comfortable with and I used to happily remark how they played together and teased each other in much more supportive and comfortable ways.  Once I said to him, "You are a great person and I really like having you in my class."  His response was quiet and sullen.  "There is nothing great about me!"  It was at that moment that I realized that my best efforts with him were not going to improve his academics if I didn't help him see that he was capable, powerful,and awesome.  In fact, I realized what I had always known but rarely purposefully and reflectively planned about.  If a person doesn't feel adequate... better yet, worthwhile, there is little chance that any of the learning that occurs will have much effect.  

Terrain (Level of Difficulty):💖💖💖

Kit List:
  • "The Best Part of Me" by: Wendy Ewald  in the Magic Story bag
  •  Magic Story Bag
  •  photo album with sticky pages (not slots)  in the Magic Story bag
  •  student use camera or phone  in the Magic Story bag
  •  blackline masters for students to complete (free)  in the Magic Story bag
  • pencils, crayons, markers...


The Map:
                                                     
 
I have a scheduled time each week for Magic Story but in the first month of school, I like to have a Magic Story everyday.  This builds the enthusiasm, magic and excitement for Magic Stories to come.  It also helps take that community building that we all do at the beginning of the year to the next level - from "Oh no!  More school work!" to "Wow! This is school work?"

Before I begin, I think it is important that you know the basic background of the story that I tell.  The Magic Backyard, for me, is a place where all the characters of all the stories of all the world live.  Each time I go there, one of the characters will fill my bag with their story and a little gift for the children to help them remember the story.  This was how I started and as you will see with each new blog post, it has turned into a whole way of thinking and doing in my classrooms.  In fact, each year, my students decide whether they would like to be an official Magic Backyard class and fulfill the responsibilities of it.  More about that another time.  

I always hang my Magic Story bag where the kids can see it and where they don't have ready access to it.  It is a good time to explain to children about personal property and respect for it.  I use my Magic Backyard to back me up instead of making it another lecture.  For example, I go over the history of the Magic Bag and how I received it when I was very young and only I hold the key to the Magic Backyard.  All the characters of all the stories of all the world have entrusted me with this bag and this key and it is really important that I keep both safe.  In addition, I would feel sad if the characters in the Magic Backyard felt that they couldn't trust my kiddos and decided that stories would not be offered this year.  "I know this is the same with your special things too," I tell them.  "We all need to be very careful to respect the trust and special-ness of each of our personal items."  It is important in these first few days with your Magic Story bag to be able to sell it.  My story has grown over time and often based on the questions of the children.  (Remember what you build on your story though because if you stay at the school, future siblings will test you!)


This is probably a good time to talk about older students and how they respond!  My father taught high school from before I was born.  We have always talked about how people of all ages enjoy magic and fun.  He had stickers and stamps for his students and when I went to the same high school, I used to hear all of my friends rave about which ones they got.  I've taught, now, all of the grades from kindergarten to 8 in regular classes and special environments.  I have never forgone my Magic Story bag or my story.  My grade eights tested me a whole lot less than the grade 1 students that I taught this year, in fact.  Of course, you want to change the direction a little but my grade 8 students cheered as loudly as my primary students when the bag came out and we all sat down to enjoy a story together.  It's about how you sell it.  
Note:  I posted my first blog to FB last week and both a former school custodian and a former grade 7/8 student commented that they remember the Magic Backyard and really loved it.  I worked with both of them more than 15 years ago.  

When, it's story time, I gather the students around me.  We don't sit in chairs and desks for stories.  It's a great time to come to the carpet, go outside, or go to another cozy place in the school to read our story.  I take out only the book to start and I read to the students.  I have learned the power of allowing children to interject when they think of something that they feel or connect to...  It's shared reading in the best way.  There are no comprehension questions or boring activities to go with the story.  I read, sometimes they help, and we all enjoy the words and their collected messages.  

After the story, I always like to ask a leading question if the children didn't get there on their own.  For this one, I always say, "It's too bad there aren't more pages because I have some great ideas about the best part of me.  What is the best part of you?"  This sparks all kinds of discussion and I often give children an opportunity to freely talk to each other about their ideas.  Then I will say without calling for their attention specifically beforehand, "Hmmmm!  I wonder what the children from this book sent us as a gift."  I can usually count on immediate attention back to the bag.  That's when I take out the photo album and let the children think about and discuss what they think we should do with it.  Then we take out the camera which is usually a big hit.  Finally, I take out the blackline masters.  Other than cries for "How do you spell...?" I can often hear happy students talking about what they are writing and working together to take pictures of each other.  It's one of those magical and powerful parts of my day that help me to go home feeling good about what was accomplished!


Tip#2:  Your Story Time:  I am getting pretty good at thinking on my feet with regards to my Magic Backyard and Story Bag.  At the beginning, though, I spent some time thinking about what I wanted to share and how I would answer questions.  When you begin, you may not have all the answers to their questions and you may not know your direction yet.  That is absolutely okay!  Many times, when challenged, I have answered with, "that is a question to be answered later" or "I will have to check to see if that's something that the characters are willing to share now."  Sell it and usually you will get some begging but I have had little problem putting the children off until I figure it out.  

It wasn't until I had been teaching the Magic Backyard for more than 20 years that I found myself, again, having to scramble for an answer to a question that I had never been asked and wasn't prepared for.  I was teaching in a small class of children who had varying and sometimes very limiting learning differences (in Ontario, they are called students with developmental delays but I hate that term).  One of my little ones with all kinds of excitement asked me, "Where is your key?  Can we see it?"  Oh no!  I didn't have a key on my ring and no one had every asked me that.  I used my line, "I'll have to check to see if that is something that I am allowed to share first."  That night I went scrambling out to find an old, antique skeleton key which I put on my ring for our next Magic Story.


Tip #3:  Read and Repeat:  The Magic Stories have become some of the best loved stories with my kiddos.  While I don't leave those books out for children to look through on their own, we do refer to them in other lessons frequently, reread them...  Here are some things to think about to help keep a record and enjoy the stories throughout the year.
  • Create a bulletin board where you can keep track of the stories that you have shared with an interactive portion where the children can mark their favourites or write what they liked about a story.
  • Reread or repeat a story when the message could stand a quick review or rethinking of strategies.  I do "The Best Part of Me" three times throughout the year and keep all of their responses in the book.  It's a great record of how writing has improved but also about how they have grown and changed.  You will note 3 different templates in the files for different stages of writing.  I tend to use the first one in September, the second one in January, and the the third one in June with primary students.
  • Keep your own treasure box of the gifts that are received in a place where the children can see that you think they are special too and can remember them.

Adventure Recipe:  Looking for a quick organization of the lesson?  Check out this resource to help you plan your Magic Story time.

                       


                                       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Puzzle Fun #3 - TouchMath Adding (Iditarod)

  In this Blog, you will find instructions for how to use TouchMath to move students from "counting all" to "counting on.&quo...