Friday 2 July 2021

Magic Story: Jake O'Shawnasey (Stephen Cosgrove)

 

"Believe in yourself.  You are braver than you think, more talented than you know, and capable of more than you can imagine."
Roy T. Bennett
Author, Accountant, Chairman of the Ohio Republican Party
St. Louis School, Ohio, U.S.A.


When I was a young girl, I took to reading.  Even though I reversed letters, scrambled letters in words, and had some general difficulties due to a learning difference (Dyslexia), I loved stories and was captivated by language.  My brother, on the other hand, fell out of love with reading in a heck of hurry when he started school.  He disliked intensely reading aloud to others and found that reading aloud was difficult.  Much to his dismay and the frustration of my parents who were reticent to drill and kill my brother in phonics at home, his teachers sent home copious worksheets and homework practice and drills to help him become a reader.  My parents, both phenomenal teachers, bought my brother books of all kinds, read to him about things that interested him and immersed him in games about language.  It wasn't until we went on a summer trip to Eastern Canada that my parents figured it out.  We were each given a book of our choice to read along the way with the promise to read a little each day.  My brother chose a book, that my parents were concerned was too difficult for his reading level, about whales.  On one of the first few days of our trip, my brother closed the book and announced that he had finished it.  My parents were skeptical so they started a conversation about what my brother had read.  They asked him general and specific questions with increasing complexity.  He answered them all confidently, right down to the nitty gritty details.  It was then that my parents understood that my brother was actually an excellent reader - just not aloud.  Throughout his young life, they continued to get him books and help him choose books that he would love.  Some of his favourites were the Choose Your Own Adventure novels and the books by Stephen Cosgrove.  I have kept his whole collection of Stephen Cosgrove books because I loved sharing them together with him.  I am also happy to tell you that my brother continues to be an avid reader today although I have never heard him read aloud.  

Terrain (Level of Difficulty):💖

Kit List:
  • "Jake O'Shawnasey" by: Stephen Cosgrove  in the Magic Story bag
  •  Magic Story Bag
  •  feathers (perferably green) in the Magic Story bag
  •  some construction paper/bristol board of a variety of colours (9"X12")
  • markers, crayons, pencil crayons...
  • magazines, glue, scissors
  • ribbons or string


The Map:
                                                     
 This is a Magic Story that I have been doing for 37 years!  It is a favourite of mine and often a favourite of the kiddos I have shared it with!  It is light and funny.  It has a good adventure and a fabulous ending.  
I do this story with the children early in September (the beginning of the year for me).  The ultimate message from the story is that you can do many things if you believe in yourself.  I like the message for early in the year because I work a lot on productive struggle with my grade 2 kiddos.  I think that the building of confidence is an essential first step to learning to build skills for productive struggle.

It is important to note that I never ever tell children that wanting to or believing in yourself will allow them to do anything they want to do.  I use the example that in my life, I have loved to run.  I have done a lot of running and I dreamed of winning some big races.  However, my genetics have me in a shorter, middle sized frame with large breasts which are not conducive to being a champion runner.  I have a trophy from grade 4 when I beat Catherine Bond (who later became a representative of Canada's olympic team in decathalon) which is just a funny reminder of my very short successful running career.  Sometimes, our skills and gifts don't lend themselves to something that we'd like to do.  It doesn't mean we shouldn't try but it does mean we need to have realistic expectations and focus our attention in areas where we can excel and be successful.  This conversation is also a nice segue to why working in a team is so important.  We have all have different gifts and talents.

The gift for the children from this book is a green feather.  I tell the children that Jake is giving them a feather to remind them to believe in themselves.  Because this is often one of the first fiction stories where the main character gives them the gift, I explain how when I go to the Magic Backyard, I get instructions from the character.  There are always a whole lot of questions, challenges and ideas about the Magic Backyard.  Get ready to sell it!  

There isn't much to this lesson and sometimes it is okay to just enjoy the story for the sake if the story but it is a nice story to match with an activity I was shown many moons ago.  The children make paper kites.  I use just the 9"X12" construction paper or bristol board.  The children put their names on it and decorate it with pictures that they draw or cut and paste of their favourite things.  If you can hang them from the ceiling, do that!  It is so attractive!  We can't due to fire safety regulations so I hang them on a bulletin board.  I attach a coloured ribbon or string to the bottom of the kite.  While the kites are nice and I like to let the children choose their favourite colours, it is the tail of the kite that I think is more important with this story.  I have a pocket of slips of paper where the children can access them .  At first, I ask the children to write 3 things that they are really confident about or things they like about themselves.  I tape those to the ribbon.  As the year progresses, they can add more slips of paper to their tails and they can add slips of paper to the tails of the other children's kites or mine.  At the end of the year, the children have a memory kite to bring home.  The children really like it and the tails can get really long!  When that happens I drape the tail or take some of the slips and glue them to the back of the kite.  



Tip #7:  No Green Feathers:  In the past few years, I have had a great deal of difficulty finding green feathers.  I have used other colours of feathers and more natural ones.  In these cases, I explain to the children that Jake is not losing as many feathers anymore so he went around the Cliffs of County Cort to find feathers for the children.

Adventure Recipe:  Looking for a quick organization of the lesson?  Check out this resource to help you plan your Magic Story time.

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Puzzle Fun #3 - TouchMath Adding (Iditarod)

  In this Blog, you will find instructions for how to use TouchMath to move students from "counting all" to "counting on.&quo...